Tuesday 23 August 2011

Kitsch

What I understand from the word "kitsch" is works of art and objects that are popular but they are considered to have no artistic value and tasteless. For example, the artworks are sentimental and as an creativity. Besides, kitsch also can be humorous and theatrical.

Kitsch is a concept that applied to artworks that response to the 19th century art with aesthetics. Aesthetics is a part of philosophy related to the nature of beauty, art, taste, and with the creation and appreciation of beauty. [Aesthetics, Wikipedia] So, kitsch is a sentimental art.

After I studied kitsch, I looked around my desk and found a ruler holder which can be considered as kitsch. The ruler holder was made by me when I was 16. I got a cupboard tube from my neighbour, and I cut the tube about 7 inches. I used a marker pen and started to draw designs on it.

I was in a random mood when I drew the designs. There is no fix lines or patterns taken from references. I drew the designs with emotions and that is what made the object become a kitsch art, a sentimental art. I have captured the photos of my ruler holder in 4 different angle to show the overall design.

Photo taken by Wong Boon Pin

Photo taken by Wong Boon Pin

Photo taken by Wong Boon Pin
Photo taken by Wong Boon Pin

References:

Kitsch. (n.d.). Retrieved 22 August, 2011, from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitsch
Aesthetics. (n.d.). Retrieved 22 August, 2011, from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aesthetics

No comments:

Post a Comment